Pages

Friday, August 22, 2008

This is What I did Today



i traveled to houston in order to attend the wonderful sealing ceremony of this beautiful bride and handsome groom. it was an uplifting and emotional day.

i have known this young woman for twenty plus years. we basically grew up together and she is like a little sis to me. i am so proud of her and what she has accomplished so far in her life. and she has chosen a excellent man to be her companion.

this guy is very fun and energetic. but when he brought his bride into the room where the ceremony was to be, he looked so serious. i thought he must be really nervous however i realized he must be thinking about the great undertaking of the future. these two have begun a family today and it was touching to see how he realized the responsibility and gravity of his vows to his bride. i know he will take great care and consideration with her.

as they knelt at the alter and looked into one another's eyes i could not help remembering when i was there, kneeling across from the man i chose. and then something happened to me.

my left eye mysteriously sprung a leak.

later, the sealer had these two look into the double mirrors and pointed out that from their perspective, their companion looked "ahead" of the "yourself". he said they should remember that when they put their spouse first, then the greatest happiness will come.

it was a great feeling to be in the temple again. i sat next to my SIL who is sooo sweet. we were able to spend such quiet time together talking after the ceremonies--well i did most of the chatting--about my impressions.

today was a reminder of the promises i have made to myself, my man, and my God. i am so grateful to have the opportunity to be reminded of what i need to be doing for my family and my own happiness. i am such in awe of all the marvelous blessings my Father has to offer me if i will continue striving to do my part. i have missed the temple much more than i thought. i hope i am motivated enough from this inspiration to renew my committments and accomplish more for my family through my own sacrifice. especially in the small, everyday things.

in the evening i had the privilage to see this:

and this:


plus more. that house is on the texas historical society for historic homes in alvin, texas. this is where my grandmother and great-grandfather were born and raised. my great-great grandfather purchased this home in the early 1900's. that is his gravestone. there were six other stones as well. they are in the confederate cemetery in alvin because one of my progenitors served in the confederate army.

i did not expect to feel so connected to this place, but as i walked near that home, it was hard not to imagine my grandmother as a little girl, and some of stories from her girlhood began floating through my head. i wanted to go inside and see where she learned to cook and where she may have slept and played. seeing and being in this place was such a neat experience. i hope one day i will be able to go inside.

it has been fun being with my parents and brother as well. we still plan on going to galveston which i am looking forward to. even though it may not have the prettiest coast line, i love the ocean and cannot wait to walk along its shores once again.















2 comments:

Christian (Chrissy) Anderson said...

Hey, that is a Gaylord girl, what is her name? And who did she marry? Where is he from? And that yellow house is beautiful! How fun to be able to really know about your history!

J. said...

yes that is jenn gaylord. she married a great guy, jared johnson. they met at BYU-H and he is from houston. he wants to teach high school so he can coach baseball. she is a photographer. they plan on locating back to houston when he's done with school. get this: her full name jennifer joyce gaylord johnson and his: jared johnathon johnson. all j's except one. i teased them about naming their kids j names!