Pages

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Analysis of Myself: It Began with a Sunday

First getting ready for church was horrible. We got up in plenty of time however the runts decided they wanted two brekkies right in a row. They ate cereal and were still hungry. Q. begged for chocolate gravy but I cooked a good brekkie on Saturday so I told her I wasn’t cooking but I would cook an egg. She said that was still cooking.

Anyways, I told her an egg was pretty easy which meant I had to fix some for BBB. He has to have whatever the girls have. Auj wanted toast, probably because she saw me eating an English muffin and there was no bread defrosted so I just made her some toast out a half a hamburger bun. And thankfully, she didn’t mind sharing a bite with BBB since he has to have a little of everything. Which is good that a little of everything pleases him alright, though he didn’t eat his toast…I knew he’d want it and not eat. Oh well. The two ate their eggs. But they just wouldn’t get moving and get dressed. Mom was here and would help if I told her what was what but I wish she would just take the initiative, only in some things though.

Once we got through the chaos of getting to church, late as usual, come to find that the Coombs are speaking. This is a lovely family, six kids, and fire cracker parents. Very enthusiastic, spiritual people. I wonder if they’ve always been this exciteable? Anyways, they were speaking about guidance from God and the Spirit. They told some neat stories. I really enjoyed the angle sis. Coombs took. She said she was thinking what keeps her from seeking guidance.


1. Discouragement
2. Lack of courage
3. ??


I can’t remember the last one because I got so hung up on the first one, discouragement.
A Word, or Several Hundred, On Discouragement, Among other Things.
A source Sister Coombs used for her talk was Kevin W. Pearsons of the Qurom of the Seventy. He gave a talk about faith in the May 2009 General Conference. Here is a link to it:


http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=162a230bac7f0210VgnVCM100000176f620a____&vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD

The bit that fit into my line of thinking was about the 6 Destructive D’s; doubt, discouragement, distraction, lack of diligence, disobedience, and disbelief. Each one leads to the next. I will insert an excerpt (that sounds funny)…

“We do have a choice. We get what we focus on consistently. Because there is an opposition in all things, there are forces that erode our faith. Some are the result of Satan’s direct influence. But for others, we have no one but ourselves to blame. These stem from personal tendencies, attitudes, and habits we can learn to change. I will refer to these influences as the “Six Destructive Ds.” As I do, consider their influence on you or your children.

First is doubt. Doubt is not a principle of the gospel. It does not come from the Light of Christ or the influence of the Holy Ghost. Doubt is a negative emotion related to fear. It comes from a lack of confidence in one’s self or abilities. It is inconsistent with our divine identity as children of God.

Doubt leads to discouragement. Discouragement comes from missed expectations. Chronic discouragement leads to lower expectations, decreased effort, weakened desire, and greater difficulty feeling and following the Spirit (see Preach My Gospel [2004], 10). Discouragement and despair are the very antithesis of faith.

Discouragement leads to distraction, a lack of focus. Distraction eliminates the very focus the eye of faith requires. Discouragement and distraction are two of Satan’s most effective tools, but they are also bad habits.

Distraction leads to a lack of diligence, a reduced commitment to remain true and faithful and to carry on through despite hardship and disappointment. Disappointment is an inevitable part of life, but it need not lead to doubt, discouragement, distraction, or lack of diligence.

If not reversed, this path ultimately leads to disobedience, which undermines the very basis of faith. So often the result is disbelief, the conscious or unconscious refusal to believe.

The scriptures describe disbelief as the state of having chosen to harden one’s heart. It is to be past feeling.

These Six Destructive Ds—doubt, discouragement, distraction, lack of diligence, disobedience, and disbelief—all erode and destroy our faith. We can choose to avoid and overcome them.

Challenging times require greater spiritual power. Consider carefully the Savior’s promise: “If ye will have faith in me ye shall have power to do whatsoever thing is expedient in me” (Moroni 7:33).”

After reading this and the rest of Elder Pearsons talk, I realized that there is really a different root to my problem. I believe I am suffering from a decrease in my faith. Elder Pearsons put faith into a perspective I have not thought of previously. I mean, I know faith increases through action but I didn’t consider the whole realm of obedience that developing and keeping faith requires.

I love this quote followed by Elder Pearsons thoughts:

“Elder Bruce R. McConkie taught: “Faith is a gift of God bestowed as a reward for personal righteousness. It is always given when righteousness is present, and the greater the measure of obedience to God’s laws the greater will be the endowment of faith” (Mormon Doctrine, 2nd ed. [1966], 264). If we desire more faith, we must be more obedient. When we teach our children by example or precept to be casual or situational in obeying God’s commandments, we prevent them from receiving this vital spiritual gift. Faith requires an attitude of exact obedience, even in the small, simple things.”

This is the perspective I have been lacking. I do the big stuff. I attend my sacrament meetings, I strive to stay worthy of my temple recommend, I strive to fulfill my calling, and do what is right. But that bigger stuff is not enough without the little stuff. There is so much going through my mind now that makes sense in terms of how people can be active in the church but still not “get it”. I’ve become one of those people but in a not so obvious lack-of-visiting-teaching-missing-a-Sunday-a-month-skipping-my-Sunday-School-class way. If I can just take a small step to start changing my habits, overcome that doubt I feel, I would feel better and be more patient with my children. And myself. And my husband. And my life. The end.

No comments: